Press TV is a state-funded, 24-hour satellite news channel operated by the Iranian Islamic Republic of Iran Broadcasting (IRIB). Its website is Presstv.com (whois).
The English-language channel, launched in Tehran in 2007, is largely viewed as an Iranian government propaganda outlet.
Press TV acknowledges it is state-funded but claims it is not “state-controlled.” Iran’s Constitution, however, mandates that “all broadcasting must exclusively be government-operated."1
The Anti-Defamation League (ADL) described Press TV “as the Iranian government's primary propaganda tool to promote a wide range of pernicious anti-Semitic conspiracy theories in English to a worldwide audience."2
In 2011, Press TV almost lost its British broadcasting license after airing an interview of Newsweek correspondent Maziar Bahari while he was jailed in 2009 by Iranian authorities.
Bahari said after his release that his jailors scripted the interview and he was forced to cooperate under the threat of execution. Press TV failed to disclose to viewers the interview was recorded under duress.3
Western journalists appear to not pay much attention to the news channel. The Associated Press mentioned Press TV only once in the past five years (2008-2013). The New York Times made reference to the TV channel five times during this period. Press TV was shut out completely by the Washington Post.
While Press TV’s articles are not republished by the Western media, they are reposted in their entirety on MOIS attack websites. Examples include:
- “Israel pushed U.S. to delist Mojahedin Khalq (MKO, MEK, Rajavi cult) terrorist group – Syria unrest: The price of defying the West.” (3/29/2013)
- “Mark Glenn: US, Israel use MKO to conduct terror operations.” (3/18/2013)
- “United States Uses MKO to Spread Terror and Chaos Inside Iran: Paul Sheldon Foote.” (2/20/2013)
- “US Congress Members Meet MKO Terrorists in Paris.” (2/18/2013)
- “Iran: No Talks While US Uses Mojahedin Khalq Terrorist Against Civilians; Iranians Say No to US Talks.” Press TV. (2/8/2013)
- “Mojahedin Khalq Trained al-Qaeda for Terror Attacks in Iraq: Iraqi Official.” (2/7/ 2013)
- “Terrorist MKO Serious Concern for Iraq, Region: Iraqi PM.” (No date)
- “MKO Must Be Expelled From Iraq: Iran’s Moslehi.” (No date)
- “United States Uses MKO to Spread Terror and Chaos Inside Iran.” (No date)
- “Israel Pushed US to Delist MKO Terrorist Group.” (3/30/2013)
- “US Further Befriending MKO Terrorists.” (2/18/2013)
Press TV, unlike most other Iranian government information sources, provides details on its address and telephone number:
6, East 2nd St.
Farhang Blvd. Saadat Abad
19977-66411, Tehran, Iran
Tel: +98 (21) 230 661 70
Fax: +98 (21) 230 661 79
1) “Media-Iran: New TV Channel to Focus on Iraq, Shia Issues.” Inner Press Service News Agency. July 4, 2007.
2) “Iran’s Press TV: Broadcasting Anti-Semitism to The English Speaking World.” Anti-Defamation League. January 8, 2013.